Preparing for the assessment centre
If you’re invited to attend an assessment centre, it will usually be on the same day as your face-to-face interview.
The assessment will usually take about half a day and may include specially-designed tests and exercises such as written tasks, role plays and presentations.
These exercises simulate aspects of the job and allow you to show us your skills. You can prepare in advance by keeping these tips in mind:
- Practise. Whether it’s practising one of the many free psychometric tests online, or planning your presentation, make sure you familiarise yourself with the activity as much as possible beforehand.
- Be professional. During the assessment stay calm, focused and positive.
- Take time to think. Follow instructions carefully and ask if there is something you don’t understand.
- Don’t dwell on things. You don’t have to perform exceptionally in all activities. If you think you did badly in something, concentrate on doing well in the next task instead.
- Don’t compare yourself to others. The assessor will make their decision based on your overall performance across all activities.