Noise nuisance

What is noise nuisance?

You have the right to live in peace in your own home. If you are being affected by unreasonable noise we will aim to help you to stop the problem.

You should expect to hear a certain amount of noise from your neighbours and not all of it can be regarded as anti-social. Often a quiet word will resolve the issue as your neighbour may not realise they are disturbing you.

Causing unacceptable levels of noise may however be a breach of tenancy or lease. We can advise you whether or not this is the case in your situation. If we have evidence of a breach and the person responsible does not stop we will take action. The options available to us depend on the circumstances, the conditions in your neighbour’s tenancy or lease and any evidence gathered.

What can I do?

  • Talk to your neighbour: It can be easier to do this before any formal action is taken and feelings become deep-rooted. You’ll probably continue to live alongside your neighbour so it’s in everyone’s interest to reach an understanding.
  • Keep a diary: This will help determine the cause of the noise and if there is a pattern at certain times of day.
  • Record the noise: You must only record the noise you can hear as you go about your business and not speech. If you have an Android or iOS device you can use our Noise App which you can download for free here. Video footage is also useful.
  • Contact your local council: Noise caused by parties, loud music, TV, musical instruments, DIY, car alarms and constant barking dogs may also be investigated by local council noise teams. Many of these teams have an out of hours team that can visit at night.
  • Take legal action: For example a citizens prosecution for noise under the Environment Protection Act. Your local council or magistrates’ court can advise.

What can I expect from MTVH?

  • We will usually ask you to talk to your neighbour (if you have not already done so) before we start to investigate. We will not do this if you have concerns about the consequences or if a local authority Environmental health /noise nuisance officer has already witnessed the nuisance.
  • If the noise is from businesses or people who are not our tenants we might ask you to report this to the local authority or another landlord.
  • We will look at your noise diary and tell you if we think the noise is anti-social. If the noise is not a clear breach of tenancy we may offer mediation.
  • We may speak to other residents to see if they have the same problem.
  • We may install noise monitoring equipment in your home for a few days.
  • We will speak to the tenant/leaseholder of the property at the source of the unreasonable noise and explain the consequences of their actions. If you are the only complainant we will do this only with your permission.
  • We may contact the local authority to find out if they have received reports of or witnessed noise nuisance.

More information

To report noise nuisance or if you have any questions, please contact us on 020 3535 3535.

TVH customers can make contact either directly to their Housing Officer or our Housing Advice Team 020 8607 0683.