Rent a home
You will first need to apply to your local council. Most councils run choice-based lettings schemes, which give applicants more choice over the range of homes they can apply for.
How choice-based lettings schemes work:
- You apply to your local council or choice-based lettings scheme.
- Once your application has been approved, you’ll receive a bidding reference which you will be able to use to apply (‘bid’) for available homes. You’ll also get a banding priority based on your housing need.
- Available homes are listed online and in some council and housing association offices and in property magazines for one or two weeks.
- During this time you can bid for up to three homes you’re eligible for.
- The scheme makes a list of everyone who has placed a bid, then decides who has the highest priority. Your priority for housing is decided by what band you are in.
- The successful bidder will be contacted by the local council or the relevant landlord.