Home > Customers > Quick Links > Your home > Domestic Abuse and Violence – information for residents

Domestic Abuse and Violence – information for residents

Experiencing domestic abuse?

You do not need to live in fear of domestic abuse and violence.  If you are being abused, threatened, or physically or sexually assaulted by a partner, a former partner, or a family member, that is domestic abuse.

Domestic abuse and violence is still largely a hidden crime, and those who have experienced abuse from a partner or ex-partner will often try to keep it from families, friends, or authorities.

Getting help may be daunting but it is the first step towards stopping the abuse.  Don’t suffer in silence.  Be aware that help and support is available.  The most important thing you can do is tell someone.

We offer specialist support including referrals to other agencies who can arrange emergency accommodation and general advice and guidance.

Our promise to you

We are fully committed to dealing with any issues relating to domestic abuse or domestic violence and we will:

  • Not tolerate domestic abuse or domestic violence
  • Support you to ensure you have a safe and secure place to live
  • Work with other agencies to deal with the problem
  • Promote equal opportunities and value diversity to ensure that you get the right services.

What can I expect from Metropolitan?

It is our policy to support all victims and help them resolve issues affecting their housing situation. This means we will:

  • Respond within 24 hours (one working day, Monday to Friday)
  • Treat all complaints of domestic abuse and violence seriously
  • Take a victim-centred approach and give priority to our customer’s safety
  • Where possible offer customers the option to talk to someone of the same sex and/or cultural background or sexuality
  • Ensure confidentiality

To report domestic abuse or if you have any concerns or questions, please contact us on 0203 535 3535.

Where else can I get help and support?

If you are in immediate danger always dial 999.

There are also a number of national help lines as well as services via your Local Authority.